Monday, March 25, 2013

Chapter 8 and the Query Letter

Society Finches



I feel that things are going quite well.  I'm currently working on Chapter Eight - which is a massive surprise since I've barely had the inspiration to get out and get on my snowmobile since I wrecked it (note to self, get insurance).

This time last year I was getting block all the time and couldn't concentrate on my novel for long at all.  I don't know if it's just because I feel like I'm so close to the end that's spurring me on, or if the overdose of positivity is finally kicking in.  In either case I'm not going to complain.

A bit premature, I know, but I 've been working on the query letter that I'll be submitting to potential agents.  

After devouring the whole of Query Shark's blog I felt inspired to set to work on it straight away.  The way I'm looking at it, is that I'm going to have to write it at some point and it's going to take a lot of time - with the whole writing it and leaving it and rewriting it and then leaving it some more...  you get the idea - so why not start it now and keep on improving it as I'm writing my novel?  All the advice I've read says that the query letter is just as important as the story I'm telling, after all, a bad query letter will see the greatest of novels go unpublished.

I've reassessed the amount of work that's required before the second draft is complete.  It's actually a lot less than I originally thought.  Bearing in mind that my reason for the second draft was to make the beginning fit with the end (due to my continuous 'improvements' suddenly implemented in the later chapters the structure was awful!) and as I work through the second draft the distance between the beginning and the end is closing up.  At this moment in time I don't feel that the ending needs a rewrite; as it stands this is really the only part of the novel I'm actually happy with.

No comments:

Post a Comment